First-time Authors often don’t realize that most professional ghostwriting services are ghostwriting-only. You receive a finished manuscript, and that’s it.
If you want a package that includes publishing, it usually involves selecting a variety of add-ons (each with an additional cost). For example, book cover design, editing services, audiobook creation, printing, and distribution could all be extra.
For some Authors, ghostwriting-only services are enough. Others will benefit more from a package that includes publishing or marketing services.
So which option is best for you? That’s what I’ll help you understand in this article.
Below, I cover the 3 main types of ghostwriting packages:
And how to choose the right option for your book.
Note: We’ve worked with over 2,000 nonfiction Authors, including New York Times bestsellers like David Goggins and Tiffany Haddish. Our proven process takes you from book idea to published book in less than 1 year. And we offer a money-back guarantee. If you’re serious about publishing your own book, schedule a free consultation with one of our Author Strategists.
The 3 Main Types of Book Ghostwriting Packages
1. Ghostwriting-Only Packages
Most ghostwriting companies (and freelance professional ghostwriters) offer ghostwriting-only services. These typically include:
- Help with book positioning and creating your outline.
- A series of interviews to record the ideas you want to convey in your book.
- Steps to determine and agree on the writing style your ghostwriter will use.
- A completed manuscript with 1 to 2 rounds of revisions.
If you want to manage the self-publishing process on your own, publish at a later date, or publish with a separate service, a ghostwriting-only package is your best option.
Initially, they also have the advantage of being the most affordable. However, self-publishing and book marketing involves significant costs of time and money. A ghostwriting package that includes publishing is often more affordable in the long term.
Note: To learn about the costs of ghostwriting-only services, check out our article on how much it costs to hire a ghostwriter.
2. Ghostwriting and Publishing Packages
In addition to a finished manuscript, ghostwriting and publishing packages include services such as:
- Editing and proofreading.
- Book cover design and interior layout.
- Print and eBook versions of your book.
- Distribution through major online retailers.
For Authors who don’t have time to coordinate these steps on their own, a package that includes publishing is likely the best option.
Packages that combine ghostwriting and publishing are typically more affordable than separate services over the long run. You work with one cohesive team from start to finish. However, this assumes you work with a company that does professional publishing in-house.
Many ghostwriting companies deceivingly offer publishing services that they outsource to subcontractors. The result is often a low quality book.
You may ask, “But how much does publishing quality really matter?”
If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the last decade in the book business, publishing an unprofessional book is worse than not publishing a book at all.
People will judge you by your book. If you want a package that includes publishing, you should hire a company with in-house expertise in publishing.
So how can you tell the difference between companies that publish in-house and those that outsource the work?
Companies that do professional publishing list the books they’ve worked on. For example, you can see every book we’ve ghostwritten and published on our published books page.
You’ll notice that most book writing services, even ones that offer publishing add-ons, don’t list any of the books they’ve worked on. That’s a red flag, and you shouldn’t work with them.
3. Ghostwriting, Publishing, and Marketing Packages
The best ghostwriting and publishing packages provide you with a beautiful book ready for distribution. But they don’t typically include services to market your book.
For some Authors, publishing is enough. For example, if your book is a memoir intended for sharing with your family and personal network, you may not need to market your book at all.
That means engaging in book marketing activities such as:
- Organic Promotion: Organic social media promotion, email outreach to your personal network, and email newsletter creation.
- Paid Promotion: Paid social media promotion, Amazon advertising, and partnerships with book promotion sites and newsletters.
- PR and Media: Features in online publications and podcasts, TV, and radio appearances.
Professional support marketing your book helps ensure you get the best ROI. For Authors who intend to market and promote their book, packages that include both can be a worthwhile option to consider.
How Our Ghostwriting Services Work at Scribe
Scribe’s ghostwriting services are for entrepreneurs, consultants, and executives who want to publish a professional quality book in their words and voice without writing it themselves. Both of our services include ghostwriting and publishing (as well as a variety of marketing services).
When you work with Scribe, you’re assigned a publishing manager that assists you from start to finish. We pair you with a world-class ghostwriter, guide you through our proven writing process, and then we design, publish, and help you market your book.
Scribe Professional is our classic ghostwriting service for Authors looking to create their book with a world-class ghostwriter.
Scribe Pro costs $40,000 ($5,000/month for 8 months) and includes everything you need to get your book out into the world:
- Validation, structuring, and positioning of your book idea.
- Comprehensive interviews to get your ideas out of your head and into a book (in your words and your voice).
- A completed book manuscript reviewed by expert book editors.
- A beautifully designed book cover and interior layout.
- Full coordination of all book publishing details (ISBN, author bio, description, etc.).
- An eBook format of your book.
- Full printing services, with the ability to order unlimited copies at production cost (with an initial 100-copy gift from us).
- Full distribution through major online retailers (Amazon, BarnesandNoble.com, iBooks).
- Complete ownership of rights and royalties.
- First week promotions to help you become an Amazon Bestselling Author.
- Complete marketing strategy and templates to secure early Amazon reviews.
- A full set of social media banners and graphics for launch week.
- A scheduled podcast interview on Author Hour for you and your book.
- A published excerpt from your book released during launch week.
- Marketing strategy and templates for you to leverage your network.
- Access to our Book Marketing and Book Launch Blueprint Courses.
- A one-on-one call to review your marketing plan with one of our Author strategists.
Scribe Elite is for Authors who want our top tier writing service. It provides increased customization and convenience for Authors with extremely busy schedules.
Scribe Elite guarantees you work with an award-winning ghostwriter, all of whom have written or edited Wall Street Journal, USA Today, or New York Times bestsellers.
Prices start at $120,000. You get everything in Scribe Professional plus:
- You’re guaranteed to work with an award-winning ghostwriter who will fly to interview you in person.
- A complete PR and media campaign starting prior to launch and lasting a minimum of 3 months.
- Audiobook creation using a professional voice actor and top of the line studio production.